If your fortunate to be going away these holidays, ensure your home is secure and safe from intruders.
Here are a few tips to prevent your house becoming a target for thieves while your away.
- Give the appearance that someone is home, leave a light on, also, you may want to offer your neighbour park their car in your driveway.
- Install a simple timer on lights to make it look like someone is home.
- Be sure that your house and content insurance is current.
- Do not leave packaging for electronic and other expensive items in sight or in the bin, this is an indication of what could be in your home.
- Double check all locks are locked and secure before leaving. If you feel that your locks are not adequate and would not hold up to any attempted robbery, contact your local Locksmith to call out and install proper effective locks. Most Locksmiths operate 24/7 and can usually attend your house to secure your doors and windows on the same day. Prevention = Peace of mind.
- Lock up all your garden tools and ladders that may be used to break into your home.
- Do not leave any message on your home phone that you are away.
- Burglars prefer to enter through unlocked doors or windows. Sliding windows that are not secure can be seen from distance. One holiday problem can occur when exterior Christmas light extension cords are run inside through a window and prevent it from being secured. Hire an electrician or handyman to install an inexpensive exterior outlet for your holiday lights.
- One last thing, enjoy your holiday!